On Friday, August 3, dozens of homes were destroyed by fire and many more families had to be evacuated in Luther, Oklahoma (just east of Edmond and Lake Hiwasse). Read the news story from NewsOK.
In addition to those who have lost houses, many residents are without electricity and unable to return to their homes until utilities are online and authorities declare the situation to be safe. Henderson Hills is helping in two primary ways: 1) recruiting volunteers to participate in clean-up efforts, 2) donating and serving with Project 66 in Arcadia.
1. Volunteer to Participate in Clean-Up Efforts
During the second half of August and early September, Baptist churches from around the state are joining together to help residents with clean-up efforts of more than 200 destroyed homes in the central Oklahoma area. Volunteers will need to be prepared to work in manual clean-up work for a full day and bring the following items:
- Clothing: leather gloves, dust masks, goggles or tight sun glasses, boots (not tennis shoes)
- Tools: flat end shovels, garden rakes (not leaf rakes)
Volunteers from multiple churches will serve together and will be matched with experienced leaders who are coordinating this effort. Contact Mike to volunteer or obtain additional details.
2. Donate and Serve with Project 66
Project 66 is a community food pantry that is feeding and clothing our neighbors in the name if Jesus Christ - in Arcadia, Edmond, and the surrounding areas. Currently, Project 66 is working with the American Red Cross to provide special assistance to those affected by the fires in Luther.
Find out more about Project 66 and efforts to help house fire victims at the Project 66 Facebook page.
How You Can Help
Bring clothing, toiletries, bottled water, and non-perishable foods (canned or boxed items) to Project 66 located at 120 East Highway 66 (a little west and across the highway from the Round Barn in Arcadia). The store may be open to receive these items or simply leave them in the large drop-off station in the front parking lot.
Key Items Needed
- Young Girls Clothing (size 5-6 and smaller, summer items)
- Men's Clothing (all sizes, summer items like shorts, shirts, t-shirts, shoes)
- Women's Clothing (all sizes, summer items and shoes)
- Toiletries (tooth brushes, tooth paste, deodorant, soap, shampoo, etc.)
- Bottled Water
- Food Items (which can be easily prepared in a hotel room with only a microwave)