Recommended Readings for Parents and Kids
GENERAL PARENTING BOOKS
Building Strong Families
by Dennis Rainey
With topics ranging from the glory of marriage to passing on ones legacy, this book shares a convincing message that should be heard by all Christians: It is time to rebuild our families. Each topic/chapter is written by one of eleven leading Christian authors. (ISBN-13: 978-1581343823. $8-17)
Shepherding a Childs Heart
by Tedd Tripp
Written for parents with children of any age, this insightful book provides perspectives and procedures for shepherding your childs heart into the paths of life. Shepherding a Childs Heart gives fresh biblical approaches to child rearing. (ISBN-13: 978-0966378603, $11-14)
Effective Parenting in a Defective World
by Chip Ingram
Chip Ingrams practical tips for modeling right living, building strong bonds, and disciplining effectively will help parents bringing up Christ-centered kids who feel secure and significant no matter what comes their way. Features practical, age-appropriate parenting tips, charts/diagrams, and action steps. (ISBN-13: 978-1414303840, $11-14)
by Steve Farrar (for raising sons)
Using kings of the Old Testament as character studies, Steve Farrar examines the critical role a father plays in preparing his son to become a godly man. (ISBN-13: 978-0802433190, $10-15)
CHILDREN (K-5th) DEVOTIONALS
The Wonder Devotional Book Series (Vols. 1-4)
by Child Evangelism Fellowship
All four books contain 60 days of devotionals to help grow children spiritually and answers questions about God. Includes prayer starters, memory verses, and activity pages. ($1.49 each, purchase directly from www.cefpress.com)
Selecting a Bible for Kids
There is more to choosing a Bible than picking a cool cover. The information below may help to explain different types of Bibles available and provide guidance for selecting the best fit for your child.
Types of Bibles
With the variety of Bible types available today, consider which model fits your childs need:
- Reference Bibles Contain a cross-reference system, to refer the reader to related verses.
- Study Bibles Provide helpful info about biblical people, places, times and specific Bible passages. Includes maps, charts, introductions, outlines, and concordances. Great for study.
- Thinline Bibles A smaller version of a reference Bible. Not too thick to carry or pack easily.
- Personal-Size Bibles Very small size with minimal extra info. Great for carrying around.
- Devotional Bibles Includes daily reading plans with devotional thoughts (for boys or girls).
There is not a standard recommendation for any age, but here are a number of excellent Bible translations that have been produced in the past several decades.
- NIrV A translation for children. Recommended for parents to read aloud to little ones.
- NCV Good for kids as they begin reading the Bible on their own.
- NLT Easy to read. Translated phrase-by-phrase. Great for devotional reading.
- NIV Easy to read and memorize. Very popular. Clear, but not wordy. Not as good for study.
- HCSB This is our top choice of translations, and the one we use on the weekends.
- ESV and NASB are the preferred translations of our church Elders, because of the word-for-word translation style. Requires a stronger reading ability for children. Great for Bible study.
Bible Recommendations by Age Group
There is not a standard recommendation for any age, but the following may prove helpful:
- Pre-School Select a translation that parents can read for young children (NIrV or NCV).
- Children (K-5th) Select a version that is cool with features that will motivate kids to read it.
- Middle School Some teens are ready for ESV or NASB and desire study or reference features.
- High School More likely to want devotional Bibles and study Bibles with more information.
Additional Notes about Bibles & Covers
For kids of any age, it is often a good idea to include your child in picking out a Bible that has the features and cover style that they like. They will be more likely to read and study a model that they find attractive. Use the info above to help guide your child in their search.