It is our heart to equip and challenge church members to LIVE SENT! We want to create a culture where, through the work of the Holy Spirit and by God’s grace, people feel empowered to pursue, share, and demonstrate the Gospel in every area of their lives by consistently and persistently pointing people toward Jesus for God’s glory. During this season as part of Community Christmas 2017, we did this in several ways as we saught to LOVE OUR NEIGHBORS, ENGAGE THE NATIONS, and CONNECT WITH OUR COMMUNITY.
In Romans 12:13 we are implored to seek to show hospitality. Hospitality requires a desire for relationship. When we practice hospitality, we emulate the love of Jesus and honor God by serving others, both believers, and non-believers. Hospitality is about investing in other people’s lives and developing relationships that allow us to discover their greatest needs.
Seek to Show Hospitality
We focused on three areas where we should always seek to show hospitality as part of living sent lives. While each month highlighted a different area as part of cultivating a rhythm of hospitality in our lives, hospitality should be practiced in all of these ways as often as we are called to do so.
“...You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” Matthew 22:39
During the month of October, we were encouraged to live generously towards our neighbors and serve them in some way. Suggestions included inviting your neighbor into your home to share a meal or host a block party, or taking a neighbor you haven’t met yet a meal, baked goods, or a plant to begin a connection with them.
We pray that during the month of October you were able to make connections with people you probably encounter on a daily basis where you live, work, go to school, or spend your time. Now, let's continue to show the love and hospitality Jesus so graciously shows us.
“Let each of you look not only to his own interests but also to the interests of others.” Philippians 2:4
In His sovereignty, God has brought the nations to Edmond. Our church is connected to the world through our International Student Ministry, Friendship International, and ESL Ministries.
- On November 18th, almost 200 students delivered Save the Date door hangers to 475 homes
- 23 of our HHBC families hosted 40 international students for Thanksgiving.
“Contribute to the needs of the saints and seek to show hospitality.” Romans 12:13
This year we hosted a series of parties, reaching out to different parts of our community.
- October - December, 80+ volunteers packed and stuffed 1000 Live Sent boxes and 500 gift bags.
- 12 volunteers wrapped more than 200 gift cards
- On December 1st & 2nd, 30 groups went door-to-door and delivered 450 Community Christmas invitations.
- On Sunday, December 3rd over 100 students and volunteers celebrated with international students at the College House.
- On Thursday, December 7th students and Community Groups served 50 families at Project 66.
- On Friday, December 8th 200+ HHBC volunteers celebrated with more than 500 friends from the community.
- On Monday, December 18th we held a final Christmas Party for ESL and Friendship International.
We not only wanted to bless the people and families we invited to these Christmas parties, but we also desire to form relationships and invite them into our lives that Christ might be known and loved.
Every person who left the Community Christmas party on December 8th, was given an invitation to a Family Dinner that will be hosted by Henderson Hills on Friday, February 9th. At the dinner they will get to re-connect with the HHBC families they met at the party, to continue to foster and grow community.
Share your LIVE SENT and Community Christmas experiences with us by:
- Submitting your story and photos online by clicking here.
- emailing photos and/or videos to email@example.com.
- posting on social media using the hashtag #hhbccommunitychristmas2017.
For more information contact Jen Sise.